Picks
Sportsbooks
Casino
Promos
Prediction Markets
Lottery
Guide
Premier League
Picks Sportsbooks Casino Promos Prediction Markets Lottery Guide
Gambling is prohibited for underage individuals | Commercial content | Regional restrictions may apply | T&Cs apply | Play responsibly

Why Was Gary Neville Barred by Nottingham Forest for Chelsea Clash Commentary? Check Out the Pundit’s Reaction, and More 

Mayur Dedwal

Why Gary Neville Was Barred by Nottingham Forest for Chelsea Clash Commentary

Gary Neville criticized Nottingham Forest’s owner, Evangelos Marinakis, for his “scandalous” behaviour after a draw with Leicester. Marinakis walked onto the pitch and confronted head coach Nuno Espirito Santo. Neville urged manager Nuno to quit the club and received legal threats from Marinakis’ lawyers as well. 

Following the sequence, Nottingham Forest has taken a measure by revoking Neville from commentating for Sky Sports in their game against Chelsea on Sunday. As a result, the long-time pundit will miss out on the Premier League finale as he shared his views on the incident over social media. 

Neville on Forest’s Ban: “Disappointing That a Great Club” Acts This Way

Neville speaking on the ban from Forest said he feels disappointed looking at the sequence. Giving insights on the schedules, former Manchester United player said that he was contacted by Sky Sports for commentating while a new notice of him being denied access inside the stadium on Sunday. 

Speaking on the issue, Neville reflected on not having faced a situation like this in his 14-year career as an analyst. Taking over the social media platforms, Neville in his letter on the situation wrote, 

“I was contacted by Sky Sports earlier on in the week and told that I would be commentating at the City Ground on Sunday for the Nottingham Forest vs Chelsea match. I was informed yesterday by Sky Sports that Nottingham Forest would not give me accreditation or access to the stadium as a co-commentator. I’ve had no choice but to withdraw from the coverage.”

“I’ve dished out my fair share of criticism and praise in the last 14 years of doing this job and have never come close to this unprecedented action. I think it’s disappointing that a great club like Nottingham Forest have been reduced to making such a decision. Whilst they have every right to choose who they let into their stadium, it’s symptomatic of things that have happened over the last 12 months with the club.”

“I wish the coaching staff, players and fans of the club all the best in their quest to achieve Champions League football.”

Neville has been the face of Sky Sports punditry for over a decade. Being famous for his bold criticism of players and the sport, the 50-year-old has had his share of controversial moments. However, facing a ban from commentating at a Premier League game is something every fan would consider as news.

ALSO READEngland Squad Announced by Thomas Tuchel – No Man Utd, Man City or Spurs Players Included

Despite the controversy, Neville’s well-wishes for Forest’s players and fans highlight his professionalism amid this extraordinary dispute. Forest will take on Chelsea in a decider for the spot in the Champions League qualification on Sunday. 

With a one-point gap between third-placed Newcastle and seventh-placed Forest, the spots to UCL could go any of the way. However, any side among the two who managed to pick up the three points is guaranteed to go all the way to the UCL. 

soccer soccer

I’m a Sports Content Writer with expertise in football. Being a decade old football enthusiast and part-time coach, I try to bring to life to the articles in a statistical manner. Being around all kinds of sports updates and able to put in my perspective’s to the happenings in the world of football are few of the many things i like in doing what i do. You can find me playing Sunday leagues or Xbox on weekends!

Read more