Picks
Sportsbooks
Casino
Promos
Prediction Markets
Lottery
Guide
Premier League
Picks Sportsbooks Casino Promos Prediction Markets Lottery Guide
Gambling is prohibited for underage individuals | Commercial content | Regional restrictions may apply | T&Cs apply | Play responsibly

Inter Milan Reject Chelsea’s €50M Bid for Alessandro Bastoni

Abhinav Goel

Chelsea have seen a €50 million (£43m) bid for Inter Milan defender Alessandro Bastoni turned down by the Italian giants. The Nerazzurri reportedly “politely declined” Chelsea’s approach, making it clear that the Italian centre-back is not for sale this summer.

Bastoni has three years remaining on the contract he signed in 2023 and both player and club are understood to be happy with the current arrangement. Inter have no plans to part ways with one of their most reliable defenders. The move comes as Chelsea search for defensive reinforcements following the long-term injury to Levi Colwill, who is expected to miss the season with an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Chelsea had tested Inter’s resolve with a significant offer, but the Serie A side immediately rejected the bid. With the defender considered central to Cristian Chivu’s plans, Inter have no intention of cashing in on Bastoni.

The 26-year-old has been with Inter since 2017, when he joined from Atalanta. Over the years he has established himself as one of the most highly regarded centre-backs in Europe. Bastoni became a regular under Antonio Conte in the 2019-20 season and has since been a key figure for Inter. The Italian international remains under contract until 2028 and is expected to continue playing a leading role for the Nerazzurri as they aim to challenge domestically and in Europe this season.

Enzo Maresca Wants New Defender After Levi Colwill’s ACL Injury

Chelsea’s interest stems from Colwill’s injury, which has left Enzo Maresca short of options in defence. Bastoni, a left-footed centre-back, would have been a direct replacement, fitting the tactical profile needed at Stamford Bridge. However, with Inter unwilling to negotiate, the Blues may have to look elsewhere before the transfer window closes on September 1.

Also Read: Don’t Believe Everything You Read: Oliver Glasner Shuts Down Eberechi Eze Transfer Speculation Amid Spurs Links

The Blues opened their Premier League campaign on Sunday with a 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace. Speaking in the build-up to the match against Crystal Palace, head coach Enzo Maresca said,

“The club know exactly what I think. I think we need a central defender. We are looking for an internal solution but as I said, the club know exactly what I think. When we build, we build with Levi in the middle. Last year we played 64 games and we played all 64 games with either Levi or Tosin [Adarabioyo in the middle].”

“Now Levi is out. The only other one that he can do that job well is Tosin. But we have Premier League, Champions League, with these kind of players. The one in the middle in my way is so, so, so important. And this is the reason why I said that the club knows exactly what I think about central defenders.”

Also Read: Lionel Messi Nets Stunning Goal After Injury Return, Leads Inter Miami to 3–1 Win Over LA Galaxy

soccer soccer

I am a soccer writer at The PlayOffs, covering everything from match analysis to transfer buzz and tactical deep dives. Ever since I was a kid, soccer has been more than just a sport to me—it’s been an obsession. Playing and watching the game from a young age fueled my passion, eventually leading me into the world of sports media and betting. Now, I get to analyze the sport I love and bring the latest updates to fans worldwide.

Read more